It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm Advanced search

Stitchy

Discuss particular games/prototypes/designs you are working on, get comments and feedback.

Stitchy

Postby Alec » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Stitchy is a new project I'm working on with awesomofriends Sara Gross (art, design) and Marlon Wiebe (music, design)

Image

You can play a super early control prototype on this here tumblr:

http://stitchygame.tumblr.com/

Feedback is welcom'd and appreciat'd. :)
User avatar
Alec
 

Re: Stitchy

Postby Velvety » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing how the gameplay fleshes out for Stitchy. I'm really liking the art style and concept so far. Seeing the usable needle and thread at OrcaJam was cool :)
Velvety
 
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Stitchy

Postby S.Laser » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Just how many projects can you work on at once Alec?
User avatar
S.Laser
 
Location: Kansas City

Re: Stitchy

Postby Ian Snyder » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Cute :) I enjoyed playing the instruments along to the background tunes.

I had a lot of trouble understand how to control the little guy, but obviously this is still a very early prototype. What are your plans for this?
User avatar
Ian Snyder
 
Location: Kansas City, MO, US

Re: Stitchy

Postby Alec » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Ian Snyder wrote:I had a lot of trouble understand how to control the little guy, but obviously this is still a very early prototype. What are your plans for this?


We're trying out a few different things... What problems didja have?

For reference the current controls are:

Hold mouse to walk.
Click on stuff to fire at it.
Click to detach when swinging.
User avatar
Alec
 

Re: Stitchy

Postby Ian Snyder » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:07 pm

I think my main problem comes from a lack of clarity about the context sensitivity. I kept wanting the grapple to deploy every time I clicked, even when I didn't click on a valid target. It didn't connect with me that holding the mouse down made the character walk for a long time (there's also a weird vertical line that appears behind the character when they walk, which for a while I interpreted as the grapple not-deploying).

It also didn't make sense that I should click to let go of the grapple. In a case like this, my instinct is to read the click as a metaphor for grabbing onto something, so clicking down would grapple on to something and releasing the mouse button would make the character drop. Maybe as a side effect of this, on clicking to release I felt like the character should be jumping.

I'm also probably going in with the preconception that a grapple-platformer will be a physics based skill test, so maybe I was expecting a higher control fidelity than you're going for.
User avatar
Ian Snyder
 
Location: Kansas City, MO, US

Re: Stitchy

Postby Alec » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Ian Snyder wrote:I think my main problem comes from a lack of clarity about the context sensitivity. I kept wanting the grapple to deploy every time I clicked, even when I didn't click on a valid target. It didn't connect with me that holding the mouse down made the character walk for a long time (there's also a weird vertical line that appears behind the character when they walk, which for a while I interpreted as the grapple not-deploying).

It also didn't make sense that I should click to let go of the grapple. In a case like this, my instinct is to read the click as a metaphor for grabbing onto something, so clicking down would grapple on to something and releasing the mouse button would make the character drop. Maybe as a side effect of this, on clicking to release I felt like the character should be jumping.


Gotcha. So what this might mean is resorting to keyboard + mouse on PC, or two button mouse input. (one button to move, one button to shoot) That way the context-sensitive stuff wouldn't matter.

I'm also probably going in with the preconception that a grapple-platformer will be a physics based skill test, so maybe I was expecting a higher control fidelity than you're going for.


We're not really making a platformer per se, so the focus probably won't be on physics "skill" - although I wouldn't mind experimenting with a more dynamic control system for the purposes of making the game feel more fluid.
User avatar
Alec
 

Re: Stitchy

Postby FuzzYspo0N » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:31 pm

I think with a simple intro stage with like one cube to pass over, players would learn the controls easily. I kinda liked their simplicity for the style of game and target (I imagine kids playing it too without any issues) - BUT it feels like the fluidity would be better for sure. If the grappling isn't twitchy at all, you could swap click and hold+click, hold on something to grapple, click to move (like point and click)
User avatar
FuzzYspo0N
 
Location: South Africa

Re: Stitchy

Postby Alec » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:11 pm

FuzzYspo0N wrote:I think with a simple intro stage with like one cube to pass over, players would learn the controls easily. I kinda liked their simplicity for the style of game and target (I imagine kids playing it too without any issues) - BUT it feels like the fluidity would be better for sure. If the grappling isn't twitchy at all, you could swap click and hold+click, hold on something to grapple, click to move (like point and click)


It could be something like... hold to grapple, once you're in swinging state you can move the mouse/finger side to side to control the swing, then release to jump. That might feel more satisfying and it'd be a bit more dynamic. Not sure if it would get harder for some people that way or not... hmm.
User avatar
Alec
 

Re: Stitchy

Postby FuzzYspo0N » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Only one way to find out :P
User avatar
FuzzYspo0N
 
Location: South Africa

Re: Stitchy

Postby Alec » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 pm

FuzzYspo0N wrote:Only one way to find out :P


Build a time machine...
User avatar
Alec
 

Re: Stitchy

Postby JetpackKitty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 am

It only took about 2 minutes to get a hang of controls by experimentation which was pretty good, however I am not really a fan of solely using the mouse. I think adding in keyboard support would make things feel a bit more natural and could introduce some fun mechanics. An example could be pressing the up key to move up the string as you swing then when detaching it will give you a bit more height/distance. You could also use the direction keys to detach yourself from the string.

On the other side of things, the art and concepts look great!
User avatar
JetpackKitty
 

Re: Stitchy

Postby Alec » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:57 pm

JetpackKitty wrote:It only took about 2 minutes to get a hang of controls by experimentation which was pretty good, however I am not really a fan of solely using the mouse. I think adding in keyboard support would make things feel a bit more natural and could introduce some fun mechanics. An example could be pressing the up key to move up the string as you swing then when detaching it will give you a bit more height/distance. You could also use the direction keys to detach yourself from the string.


You can use keyboard to move left/right already, so adding keyboard to duplicate some mouse functions wouldn't be a big deal.

What I'm aiming for is allowing the game to be fully controlled with the mouse if that's what you wish, but also providing keyboard input that you can use as much / as little as you want. :)
User avatar
Alec
 

Re: Stitchy

Postby JetpackKitty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 am

Ah my bad didn't notice :P
If you are looking to play with just the mouse, I am going to have to agree with Ian that releasing the mouse would feel a bit more natural for detaching from the string.
User avatar
JetpackKitty
 


Return to Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron