It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm Advanced search

Twitter SlowJams

We challenge the Super Friendship Club with a theme for a game; see what you can make in one month.

Twitter SlowJams

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:34 am

I floated the idea of continuing the pageants/slowjams via twitter in another thread, and people seemed to like the idea. So with SFC [presumably] coming to a close, it's contingency time!

I really like the 2 week format and would hate to see these end, so what are people's thoughts on keeping the dream alive with as little work as possible? ;)
Greg

Re: Twitter SlowJams

Postby Lixel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm very much for the idea of a slowjam in twitter/email/rss format, and two weeks seems like a good time period. The only suggestion I have to offer, is not to do it continuously. Take two weeks (or even a single week, which also seems to be an acceptable degree of time [7DFPS, 7DRL, etc]) for the jam, and then take a week or two off, where participants get to decide what the want to do next time. (similar to Ludum Dare's model of voting on the topics you like) Allow users to generate ideas, and let them vote on them too, the only major drawback I see here is lack of awareness of other topics, but that could be fixed with a website of sorts dedicated to this (similar to screenshotsaturday.com)

I really hope this becomes a thing!
Lixel

Postby Ian Snyder » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Forum's closing today, I think, but I hope something comes from this thread.

Some suggestions:

Don't let the theme be chosen by votes. Ludum Dare's themes are almost universally uninteresting. Would be cool to see a new "host" dev each month who chooses the theme. Maybe the dev could even could even choose the next host from among the slowjam participants.

Definitely have a system for cycling people in and out of the role, pageant masters tend to get exhausted after a while.

Carefully consider the frequency with which you have these. Having them more often will make the event less special, which will discourage participation. Having a more rare event might draw more developers in.

Maybe it could be a thing that happens only four times a year or something, but it would also consist of two or three slowjams in a row giving people a greater opportunity to participate. The same host might choose all three themes, and then pick the next host from among the participants.

Or don't follow any of these suggestions. I'm just throwing out ideas.

And a screenshotsaturday-like site would absolutely be necessary.

I propose carrying on this discussion over twitter, perhaps under a #slowjam tag or something.
Ian Snyder

Postby Michael Brough » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:56 am

#slowjam is noisy already. #superfriendshipclub, #sfcjam, #irregularjam, ugh not having great ideas it's late.

/agree that voting is a terrible terrible idea. host choosing the next host seems pretty good, i'd vote for that if we hadn't just agreed not to vote.

every 2-3 months is probably the right freq.
Michael Brough

Postby Darien » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:16 am

Might it be a good idea to start a Tumblr or something to that effect, and post the pageants / slowjams there? That would give you the benefit of organisation without all the work of maintaining a web site. I am also in favour of not voting on themes; as has been said, the Ludum Dare themes are dull as dirt. I love the thing, but the themes are sometimes painful.

I drifted off some months back, but I'm still said to see the place closing down; so it goes, I guess. I do hope you have success keeping the jamming alive, though!
Darien

Postby Greg » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:07 am

Yeah #slowjam definitely won't work, but #SFCslowjam or #SFslowjam probably would. I just love that name...

I really like Ian's idea about hosts; each one picking the next one to ensure interesting topics. We really couldn't do much better than that. The occasional 'indie famous' host would likely bring in more entries too. And I'm definitely against any sort of ranking or voting; part of what worked well about the pageants was the lack of that.

Every second month might be a nice frequency, or perhaps even less often. And I really like the idea of the slowjams being intended as 2 week things, but with a buffer of a week on either side so that people can adjust it to their schedules. It basically already worked that way anyway.
Greg

Postby Eddie Cameron » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah, keeping it simple is pretty important. 4 times a year sounds about right, we could do them per season?

I think a tumblr with a single post for each jam is fine, to be updated with links to finished games. Great if we could get a #screenshotsaturday -esque site to gather tweets & dev pics.

+1 for rotating hosts, each choosing a theme and the next host.
Eddie Cameron

Postby agj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:56 am

#superfriendshipjam ?

edit: For 'submitting' a finished game, something like:

Cats On Fire http://twitpic.com/xyRst3 http://mysite.com/blog/cats-on-fire/ #superfriendshipjam #done
agj

Postby agj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 am

So I've been thinking on-and-off about the best way to do this Twitter thing. The slogan I've arrived at is: an etiquette that allows for a running start, but which is future-proof. This means do things so that we can start as soon as possible, but which allows anyone to make more complicated, retroactive additions in the future, like galleries for all slowpageants with thumbnails and such, or whatever they wish.

Here is a proposed draft:

- Users who wish to participate need a Twitter account.
- Hosts for each jamslow are designated by the host of the previous one.
- The host defines topic, start time and duration of each jampageant, and is in charge of notifying these via Twitter using his own account.
- Define Twitter message formats to indicate general discussion, finished games, start and end of pageantjam, host baton-passing. Example formats:
- - General discussion relevant to the slowpoke would use the #superfriendshipjam tag.
- - Game submission would follow a format like in my previous post, including game title, link to obtain game (to a blog post or thread in some forum, or at least a straight download), the tags #superfriendshipjam and #done, and a link to a screenshot if desired.
- - Slopageam start indicated by #superfriendshipjam #start and topic, as tweeted by current host. Ends similarly with #superfriendshipjam #end
- - Current host may pass baton by indicating @user and #superfriendshipjam #batonpass.
- This use of tags allows for a bot to retweet all relevant tweets, and for other scripts to parse and create websites of content.
- I think that Twitter's API only returns tweets going not very far into the past, so it could be good to right now create a script that periodically retrieves and saves all relevant tweets, and later provides an API?

So yeah, open standard here! Ideas?
agj

Postby Greg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:23 am

I'm in favour of all of this. It would require very little work and maintenance, and having hosts just use their own account would go a long way to getting the word out about the jams, since I'm sure most hosts would have twitter followers that weren't aware of SFC.
Greg

Postby Porpentine » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:27 am

using Twitter is a GREAT idea
Porpentine

Postby Jasper » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:58 pm

I am sad that the forum is closing, and I really appreciated reading it, even if it wasn't as often as I'd have liked. I know I've probably already said this... But...

Goodbye, Super Friendship Club. You'll be missed!

- superflat
Jasper

Postby PsySal » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:07 am

Ditto to what Jasper said.

Is it a problem to maintain the hosting? I understand about the pageants but it's also nice to have a forum that is laid back. I feel somehow guilty for not being more active...
PsySal

Postby WBojangles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:32 am

Hey, is this still something of interest? I thought this would be the thing that forces me to create a twitter account.
WBojangles

Return to Pageants