It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:06 pm Advanced search

Ritual Pageant - VESPER.5 (finished)

Archived Ritual Pageant Threads

Ritual Pageant - VESPER.5 (finished)

Postby Michael Brough » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Okay had an idea for this and it's the LAST ONE so going to try to fit it in.

You may only take one step each day. Missing a day takes you back. So to complete the game will require a ritual of running it each day over a month or so. I'll try to make this worth doing.

------
WINDOWS: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3l4ftn3a462pi86
MAC: http://www.mediafire.com/?l822x23hrujdh4o
Last edited by Michael Brough on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Michael Brough

Re: Ritual Pageant - VESPER5

Postby Pierrec » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:38 am

haha, you gotta think of a very cool ending then :)
Pierrec

Postby Radiatoryang » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:07 am

Oooh a year-long roguelike would be cool... it's like those games of Go that take months and years to play
Radiatoryang

Postby agj » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:42 pm

This is a great idea.
agj

Postby Michael Brough » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Started on this. Not much time so I'm going with a very basic design - no combat or real puzzles, just moving along a path. Some maziness. Going for minimum play-time 100 days, but longer if you take a less efficient route, wander off to look at something, etc.

Going to have to do some serious work on sound and graphics to make this worthwhile.
Michael Brough

Postby Ian Snyder » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 pm

This is a really great idea. If you don't finish it by the deadline I'd love to see you continue work on it anyway.
Ian Snyder

Postby Michael Brough » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Drew some tiles. Trying to evoke a temple.
Michael Brough

Postby Radiatoryang » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:04 pm

If possible (maybe after the pageant?) maybe add an e-mail reminder thing you can opt-into, if you don't take a turn for a few days
Radiatoryang

Postby Michael Brough » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Did a bunch more tiles, end condition, some insects buzzing about to make it feel more alive . Records replay and plays it back when you reopen it, up to where you were before; trying to have the sense of building something up over time, seeing all the progress you've made each day.

At this point I'd usually post a build but it's probably preferable to keep everything hidden until the "one move a day" restriction is in there. Probably not going to use the "send you back if you miss a day" idea because that's just cruel.

Next: music, a bunch more graphics for kind of "rewards" along the way, some kind of cool sound and animation for the ending.

Wonder if anyone will bother to play through this. Wonder if they'll find it worthwhile if they do.
Michael Brough

Postby moonmagic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:28 pm

I think this would be worthwhile even if there's just a message at the end that says "the end".
moonmagic

Re: Ritual Pageant - VESPER.5

Postby Michael Brough » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Reached the minimum required graphics for the design I've set myself. Some of them are amazing. More tiles would be nice, more/better portraits would be nice, but I've got to crunch some music in first.

This is a bit crazy; how can I expect to make 100+ days worth of game in only a week?
Michael Brough

Re: Ritual Pageant - VESPER.5

Postby Michael Brough » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Almost there now. Just some bits of polish to do: some chaos on the ending, sitting, more graphics maybe. Would like to get this out today if possible so I can get back to my TIGJam game.
Michael Brough

Re: Ritual Pageant - VESPER.5 (finished)

Postby Michael Brough » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Okay, here's a windows build: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2h86rv6fjd939dd
Let me know what you think.
I'll compile for mac in a day or so.
Michael Brough

Postby Pierrec » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Well...I went up!
See ya in a year or two to tell you if I enjoyed! ^^

Seriously, great graphics and great idea of course. Can't say more for now, but I think I'll try to play it everyday, I'm curious.
I also tried to cheat by changing my computer date, and it worked. But I only did it once...just to know If it would work (I spoilt my tomorrow's game session!)
Pierrec

Postby moonmagic » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Here I go! Excited!I love doing things every day.
moonmagic

Next

Return to Ritual Pageant [August 2012]